Saturday - August 04, 2001
Location: Portland State University Portland Center
for Advanced Technology in room 28
At 10:30 am Daryl called the meeting to order and we
proceeded to go around the room
talking/displaying/sharing robotic topics.
- Daryl shared his progress with the "Count-Down Timer" (It looked real good) He also talked about the process to mold sticky wheels.
- Eric shared his new-improved "Beam Walker" bot that he has been working on. He also shared how he used wide rubber bands for grippers on wheels. He shared some samples of solder he got with anyone who wanted it.
- Pete reported on the upcoming Robot events in Seattle August 4-6, 2001. He also shared a new book he has, "Control System Design" ISDN 0-12-237465-7. He also reported on the upcoming Sumo Contest run by Bill Harrison up in Seattle in late September. He then demonstrated his "Clover Bot" with a new sensor head on it.
- Edwin shared the Lego Scout he brought in.
- Warren shared a new LCD board from Brigar Electronics http://brigarelectrics.com. He also shared a couple of magazines he gets: "Sensors" http:/www.sensorsmag.com and "Embedded Systems" http://www.embedded.com
- Larry reported on his progress with soccer bots. He has built a playing field and worked on some color sensors. He reported on the Robocup Jr soccer playoffs. He also shared the "Lab Manual" for the Art of Electronics book. (I did not get the ISBN -- sorry!!!!)
- Steve shared his work on making sticky wheels for his bot. He also shared some plastic boxes he can get from his place of employment. He also demonstrated a tractor drive he hacked from a toy. He also shared with us an "optical sensor" he got and is going to try to use to sense speed and direction.
- Dan shared his hacked tractor drive and some other surplus gear he has.
- Kelvin shared a computer controlled "lock box" he has and a new robot "Spider" he got for his birthday.
- Dana shared his plans to make some "sticky wheels" using a plastic hub and how he got the measurements.
- Carl demonstrated his summer project -- a three wheeled bot. He also showed a Scout/Drown bot he is working on. He also updated us on the PSU Robotic Lab activities.
- Bret shared with us his plans to build a new mini-sumo bot.
- Tim described a robot contest he ran that used Lego Mindstorms robots. He thought that we could adapt the concept to use the mini-sumo size bot.
- John demonstrated his new ultrasonic transmitter he is working on for an ultrasonic array he wants to use on a new bot.
- Marty shared with us his visit to Digikey http://www.digikey.com
- Dana took the rest of the time to discuss club plans/options to organize PARTS as a 501©3 Educational Organization. He shared the latest copy of the bylaws. We discussed the general concept of "Why do we need bylaws?" There will be more to report at the next meeting!
At approximately 12:45 pm we adjourned our meeting and
went for Pizza!!!!!